The municipality of Valongo was recognized by royal charter in 1836, during the reign of Queen Maria II.
Human occupation of this region predates Romanization, and can be traced back to the Neolithic.
From the city’s coat of arms, one immediately gets a sense of the importance of its baking industry: from green, the colour of hills, black, the colour of slate, the river and the millstones used to make flour, and the ears of the wheat used in bread, regueifa and biscuits.
This industry was the main source of wealth in the region. For centuries, Valongo made the most of its geographical location, establishing itself as a supplier of quality bread to the city of Porto.
The Municipality of Valongo is formed by four civil parishes: Alfena, Ermesinde, Campo|Sobrado and Valongo, with a total area of 75.1 km². It borders Gondomar to the southwest, Maia to the west, and the municipalities of Santo Tirso, Paços de Ferreira and Paredes to the northeast.